August 28, 2020
Dear Residents and Family Members:
It has come to our attention that there was a recent newspaper article about an increase in COVID-19 cases at the skilled nursing facility that shares a campus with us. As you are all aware from our earlier communication in July when there were some positive staff cases at the skilled nursing facility, we do not share any common areas or buildings with the skilled nursing.
As we outlined in our communication in early July, the skilled nursing facility prepares the meals that are provided to our residents. Our independent living community and the skilled nursing facility have continued to practice infection control measures recommended by the Centers for Disease Control Prevention (CDC) and local health department, including:
- Staff use of personal protective equipment (PPE);
- More frequent hand washing/sanitizing;
- More frequent cleaning of high touch surfaces;
- Reducing or eliminating all group activities; and
- Encouraging staff to engage is social distancing and infection control practices while off the job.
Given this recent news of positive residents at the skilled facility, we recommend the following actions to prevent or mitigate the spread of the virus to our Community:
- Residents should continue make every effort to wear masks when outside of their homes, engage in more frequent hand washing/sanitizing, and make efforts to disinfect any items coming into your homes from any outside source (including groceries, takeout meals from restaurants, mail and packages); and
- Our independent residents should place any food delivered by our staff on their own plates, dispose of the containers, and wash/sanitize their hands prior to eating.
As always, please reach out with questions, concerns, or requests for assistance. We will continue to keep you updated if any big changes occur or as additional information becomes available.