July 6, 2020
Dear Residents and Family Members:
First of all, we at Mesa Springs Retirement Village want to extend our heartfelt thanks to each of you for your support and understanding during this challenging time. Your cooperation is key in allowing our team to focus our efforts on keeping you or your loved ones safe and comfortable. We are truly all in this together.
We would like to update you on how things are going at Mesa Spring as it relates to COVID-19, especially given the spike in positive cases of the virus in Abilene, Texas.
We are happy to report, we continue to have no staff with a positive diagnosis of COVID-19, or showing signs or symptoms of illness. To our knowledge, none of our independent living residents have tested as positive or are currently experiencing symptoms.
However, we learned yesterday that the skilled nursing facility that shares a campus with us has COVID-19 positive test results for 3 staff members including one in dietary.
As you know, the skilled nursing facility prepares the meals that are provided to our residents, however at this time we do not share any common areas with our residents nor buildings. Our independent living community and the skilled nursing facility have been practicing infection control measures recommended by the Centers for Disease Control Prevention (CDC) and local health department, including:
- Staff use of personal protective equipment (PPE);
- More frequent hand washing/sanitizing;
- More frequent cleaning of high touch surfaces;
- Reducing or eliminating all group activities; and
- Encouraging staff to engage is social distancing and infection control practices while off the job.
Given this recent news of positive staff at the skilled facility, we have put the additional measures in place to prevent or mitigate the spread of the virus to our Community:
- While we wait for the remaining dietary staff at the skilled nursing facility to be tested for COVID-19, our independent living staff will continue to offer take-out delivery of meals as the only option for meal service.
- We will be making even greater efforts to remind residents to wear masks when outside of their homes, engage in more frequent hand washing/sanitizing, and make efforts to disinfect any items coming into your homes from any outside source (including groceries, takeout meals from restaurants, mail and packages); and
- Encourage residents to place food delivered by our staff on their own plates, dispose of the containers and wash/sanitize their hands prior to eating.
As always, please reach out with questions, concerns, or requests for assistance. We will continue to keep you updated if any big changes occur or as additional information becomes available.